How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mo Tax Expert Your Own Question
Mo Tax Expert
Mo Tax Expert, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 548
Experience:  Accounting and Tax Expert
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Mo Tax Expert is online now

I am a UK citizen working for a UK based employer with a UK

Customer Question

i am a UK citizen working for a UK based employer with a UK contract, i pay UK tax and NI on my earnings and it is paid into a UK bank account. I want to move to the Philipinnes and live there with my wife, i work from home anyway in the UK so i will work from home in the Philipinnes in the same way with everything else staying the same. My employer thinks that they have to pay additional fees for me living in the Philipinnes. To be clear we have no Philipinnes office and i conduct no business within the Philipinnes on my Employers behalf. I read on HRMC that all i need to do is advise HMRC i am moving abroad for up to 12 months and there is nothing that changes for both myself and my employer, though what happens after those 12 months and also is my understanding that nothing changes for the initial 12 months correct
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: that is why i am reaching out to you
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no that is all, thank you
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
please let me know when you have the correct response, can i have it via email as well please as i will need to send it to my employer
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
also i presume i will need to purchase health insurance for myself as i think that is about the only thing my employer would have to provide though they do not provide is currently in the UK for me as we have the NHS, i am happy to purchase it for me and my wifeCan i just have confirmation someone is working on this please?
Expert:  Mo Tax Expert replied 15 days ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer. I’m Mo Barrie, Qualified Accountant and Tax Expert. I’m currently reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.

Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you Mo
Expert:  Mo Tax Expert replied 15 days ago.


That would be correct. You would need to notify HMRC that you intend to leave the country for 12 months and notify them upon your arrival back to you.

You could notify them by completing a p85 form.

Expert:  Mo Tax Expert replied 15 days ago.

Yes, you would also have to pay for medical in the Philippines.

If you decide to become a resident in the Philippines, you need to notify the tax authorities and pay the appropriate tax.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
from my employer point of view is there anything extra they need to pay for corp tax etc? what happens after 12 months if i remain in the Philipinnes?
Expert:  Mo Tax Expert replied 15 days ago.

The employer may need to adjust your NI if you are no longer going to be a resident of the UK.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
thank you, ***** ***** costs or liabilites from their side? i can remain in teh Philipinnes for 36 months on a tourist visa so i intend to do that
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
can i export this thread so i have a record of it?
Expert:  Mo Tax Expert replied 15 days ago.

Usually, the employer would not have any cost except if your contract state otherwise.

I suspect that you can't stay 36months on a tourist visa. However, you would need to seek legal immigration advice on this.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
thanks, ***** ***** i can re 36 months as already confirmed and i can get a 13a marriage visa which supercedes that so all good thank you
Expert:  Mo Tax Expert replied 15 days ago.

Great. Best wishes.