How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mo Tax Expert Your Own Question
Mo Tax Expert
Mo Tax Expert, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 548
Experience:  Accounting and Tax Expert
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Mo Tax Expert is online now

I have a question in regards to a company I invested with in

This answer was rated:

Hello Pearl,
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: Hello Pearl, I have a question in regards ***** ***** company I invested with in the UK. Tradelax is a company I was dealing with for crypto and it seems they have lost their license and have contacted me to say they are liquidating my account and want to send me my funds but I have to pay 8% HMRC (taxes I believe). They want me to pay the taxes before they can release the funds. Can they not take the taxes off the amount and submit them to the government and send the remainder to me?
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have document from them showing the amount and fees. Not sure if it is legit or not.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer. I’m Mo Barrie, Qualified Accountant and Tax Expert. I’m currently reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.

Thank you for your patience.

Please do not pay anything.

Usually, they would deduct the withholding taxes from your gains.

Please be careful. Happy to chat if you would like to book a call.


Not heard back from you.

It is not common for you to pay taxes before your gains are released.

The taxes should be withheld from your earnings.

Let me know if you would like to discuss this further.

Mo Tax Expert and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you