How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 31900
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

I am looking at doing my self assessment for last year and

This answer was rated:

hi, I am looking at doing my self assessment for last year and its the first time i've had to fill in about buying and selling shares in the US. I have multiple $ accounts where i buy and sell in $ shares, i never take out any money so it all says in the $ account. how do i fill out my capital gains section as it asks for disposals and purchases (do i just you a currency rate or do i not add them to capital gains until i realise the £ amount with a withdrawal
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no

It is the selling that is the taxable event not just taking out money. You must report the converted amount on the date of sell. You calculate the capital gain rate on the sales.

TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I have to find the rate on the day of the sale. We’re talking about around 200+ buy and sells