TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

I am looking at doing my self assessment for last year and

hi, I am looking at doing my self assessment for last year and its the first time i've had to fill in about buying and selling shares in the US. I have multiple $ accounts where i buy and sell in $ shares, i never take out any money so it all says in the $ account. how do i fill out my capital gains section as it asks for disposals and purchases (do i just you a currency rate or do i not add them to capital gains until i realise the £ amount with a withdrawal
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no

It is the selling that is the taxable event not just taking out money. You must report the converted amount on the date of sell. You calculate the capital gain rate on the sales.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I have to find the rate on the day of the sale. We’re talking about around 200+ buy and sells

Yes