How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 11077
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I have a question regarding an aspect of my online HMRC tax

This answer was rated:

I have a question regarding an aspect of my online HMRC tax return, can anyone help?
What is your problem, please?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My wife passed on her 10% Tax Allowance to me and it showed up on her online account, I have done my return but it does not mention this allowance on my calculation, is that correct?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
online is good, thanks

What calculation?

I cannot assist without more information.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
As I stated I am trying to complete my annual Tax Return but I am trying to confirm within my calculation that the 10% tax allowance has been transferred to me from my wife, I am unable to see any reference of this allowance. It was confirmed she had done this on her return, thank you.

Well, you are moving in the right direction as indeed it is her who must initiate the whole process.  Did you claim this on your self assessment tax return?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have had this 10% allowance from my wife for some years now and it has always been transferred to my account without me having to do anything on my side, I have not seen any reference to this allowance on my account so I am a little confused.
Don't panic; HMRC have a convenient habit of forgetting that the wife's transfer decision has been made.   I had a letter from HMRC telling me that I had underpaid tax by £220, but without any explanation.   I sharply reminded them of my wife's transfer several years ago and the result a stony silence for 3 months.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will probably complete my return and see what HMRC come up with, thank you for your time and enjoy your Jubilee weekend.

Yes, but be prepared to appeal against an assessment if the wife's portion of her personal allowance has mysteriously disappeared.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have received this allowance for some years now but it does not seem to have been transferred this time! I have not requested the allowance on my return as I have been unable to see where to.
Don't panic, HMRC have a convenient habit of forgetting about these transfers.  In my case they allowed it for two years then it mysteriously disappeared to be replaced by a snotty note that I had underpaid tax, but with no explanation as to how that had happened.  The snotty letter I sent HMRC 3 months ago has yet to receive a reply!
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** now complete my return, many thanks for all the advice, signing off.

Don't forget to remind HMRC of the surrender of the personal allowance.