E McDermott
E McDermott,
Experience:  Expert
117421097

How many days in the tax year can i stay in the UK and be

Customer Question

hi there!
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: hi there, how many days in the tax year can i stay in the UK and be considered a non tax payer? i have been living here for 5 years now and i am planning to move out but my partner still has a job here and she will stay here longer than me as per our current plans
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Expert:  E McDermott replied 19 days ago.

Your resident status is determined by the Statutory Resident Test ('SRT') which is effectively a series of tests that you work through until your personal circumstances meet the test conditions. If you are leaving part way through a tax year, you may be eligible to split the tax year into a resident and non-resident part. If you answer the below questions, I will provide an anticipated resident status for 2022/23 onwards.

1. Confirm the date that you will leave the UK
2. Confirm the number of days (anticipated) that you will return to the UK for leisure and then for work, from the departure date to 5 April 2023
3. Confirm the number of days (anticipated) that you will return to the UK for leisure and then for work, from 6 April 2023 to 5 April 2024.
4. Confirm if you will begin working abroad from the point of departure and that you will work at least 35 hours per week, on average and you do not anticipate any long breaks from overseas work (a period of 31 days whereby you do not exercise a workday overseas)
5. Confirm your accommodation situation in the overseas country i.e. you will rent straight away or live in temp accommodation (i.e. Air BnB) 
6. Confirm that you will still have access to your home in the UK, while your partner is in the UK

Emma
Expert:  E McDermott replied 16 days ago.

Hello, just checking whether you would still like me to review your tax question? If so, can you please provide a response to my questions above.