Accountant@Work
[email protected], Accountant
Experience:  Executive Director at [email protected]
115459650

I have an ongoing PAYE problem with HMRC no matter what

Customer Question

Hi I have an ongoing PAYE problem with HMRC no matter what software I use they never receive the correct figures Another problem I have is I set up a payment plan at the end of 2019 to clear all backdates amounts owed to them and I paid it all off. But now when I got back to check they added £600to the year 2016-2017 and for every year there is some extra amount they claim I need to pay
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: Yes to my accountant
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No nothing else thanks
Expert:  [email protected] replied 19 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. I'm [email protected], a UK-Qualified Chartered Certified Accountant with over 15 years of experience. I'll be answering your question today.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.

Software reporting different figures is very odd. You should speak to the HMRC technical team on

Telephone:
0300(###) ###-####

But as far as your tax payments are concerned, sometimes what happens is that your payments are received by the HMRC but they are unallocated.

So as a start, you will need to call the HMRC and ask them to send you a statement of account from 2016 - 2022. You will then compare all your payments with that statement and highlight any missing payments.

This way you'll be able to reconcile and remove requests for further payment.

I hope I've answered your question? If, however, any part of my response is unclear, please do let me know and I'll try to explain it further.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thanks for your answer. I have don these many many times
I have written many letters explaining to them and showing them where the amounts are wrong. I have called them many many times and I don`t get any reasonable response
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
All they say is that i need to send in corrections. But now that we have sent in corrections and then set a payment plan up fully paid the amount and for a while it showed we owe zero but then all of the sudden we owe hundreds of pounds again
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
for tax years back to 2016-2017 etc
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Also I asked them about 5-6 times -different departments - to send us the detailed version of what they have on their system for each employee and they refuse to do it because apparently we have asked too many times..but that was the only way sending corrections in. and we would like to check where the error could be but they refuse to send us the details. i was turned down 5-6 times in the last few years

I understand your frustration. What i think is the reason for additional taxes is that HMRC thinks that you owed tax from 2016 and has applied late charges, interest and probably penalties on the debts. Although you have paid the principal debts but since the penalties, interest and others are still unpaid, you are constantly being chased for owed taxes.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
The penalties were added to the balance as well.

There is another forum of HMRC which is called Alternative dispute resolution

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/tax-disputes-alternative-dispute-resolution-adr

Anyone can apply for ADR to help resolve a dispute with HMRC, or to get more information about issues that need to be taken for a legal ruling.

This includes:

• individuals trying to resolve personal tax issues
  • organisations trying to resolve business tax issues
  • agents representing personal or business tax clients

Please read through the guidance and submit a request for ADR

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thank you! I have written a complaint to HMRC so if they don`t response I will try to use them. That helps! Thanks!

Hopefully, this will ensure that your issues are looked at thoroughly and addressed.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.

You're welcome. As long as you have enough evidence of correspondence with HMRC, the final decision will remove penalties on the basis that no delay was attributable on your part.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
oh waoo that is amazing! Thanks for your help! Because I was also always wondering that they were charging me penalties for amounts that were not correct
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
there is definitely enough evidence. I called hndreds of times
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
much of my time and effort has gone into this and so much stress
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thanks for your help again

Prepare a paper trail of all the correspondence with HMRC. So that you may present it to the ADR or the inspector for removing the penalties and charges.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thank you! I will do

Great. All the best and thank you for using JustAnswer.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thank you so much again!

You're welcome.