Mo Tax Expert
Mo Tax Expert, Accountant
Experience:  Accounting and Tax Expert
115058980

I am planning to move to Spain from the UK for a year

Customer Question

Hi, I am planning to move to Spain from the UK for a year starting from 2nd week of August 2022. I am self employed and Hungarian national. My question is whether I can stay self-employed and pay tax in the UK while I am in Spain?
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: not yet
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I live in the UK for 10 years and being self employed for 4.5 years working on different projects for a UK based company
JA: Are you filing as a sole proprietor or independent contractor?
Customer: independent contractor
Expert:  Mo Tax Expert replied 18 days ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer. I’m Mo Barrie, Qualified Accountant and Tax Expert.

Thank you for your patience.

Yes you can. However as a non resident you would have to file the self assessment tax return along with a sa109 form.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Dear Mo, thanks so much for your response. Does it mean that I have to become tax resident in Spain after 6months of stat? I was advised that as long as I am coming back to the UK in a year, I don’t need to do anything regarding my self employment. Do I need to tell HMRC that I am moving abroad? Many thanks in advance, Nora

Yes, you would have to become a resident in Spain after a period of time.

You can inform HMRC of your intention to live the uk, by completing a p85 form.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thanks a lot. Do I have to inform HMRC about leaving the UK for a year or it’s optional?
If the intention is that you would be leaving then you would need to. 

Below is a useful link:

https://www.gov.uk/tax-right-retire-abroad-return-to-uk

Expert:  Mo Tax Expert replied 17 days ago.

Hope all is well.

I do hope that the above link was helpful and this completes your question.

Let me know if you need any further help.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hi Mo, thanks a lot for following up on it. If I become tax resident in Spain (after 6months of stay) does it mean that I have to do self-assessment in both countries and pay tax in Spain rather then in the UK? Sorry for the questions but I have never done this before and want to make sure I’ll be doing it the right way. Many thanks in advance, Nora

Hi Nora,

Thank you for your reply.

The answer is yes if some of your income derives from the Uk, while a resident in Spain.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hi Mo, thanks a lot, it seems clearer for me now. Have a great day
Sure. You are very welcome. 

Best wishes.