How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mo Tax Expert Your Own Question
Mo Tax Expert
Mo Tax Expert, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 637
Experience:  Accounting and Tax Expert
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Mo Tax Expert is online now

Can I speak to a hmrc expert, Not yet, No

Customer Question

Can I speak to a hmrc expert
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mo Tax Expert replied 16 days ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer. I’m Mo Barrie, Qualified Accountant and Tax Expert.

How can I help you today?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hello, if somebody has underpaid on there last tax invoice (year and half ago) can I over pay this year?
My family member is slightly concerned about interest on it you see.
Expert:  Mo Tax Expert replied 16 days ago.

Underpaid tax. Are you referring to payment on the account or the actual tax bill?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Sorry, tax bill for self assessment.
Expert:  Mo Tax Expert replied 16 days ago.

Thank you.

Usually if you have underpaid your taxes then HMRC may charge an interest ranging for 0.1% to 2.5%.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
presumably, my nephew cant just overpay this year? He'll have to declare it to HMRC?
Expert:  Mo Tax Expert replied 16 days ago.

Once your nephew have filed the tax return 21/22. Hmrc would just reassess the taxes and send you a bill.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
This would be 19/20 tax return which hes already filed. Would he have to re submit it with the new figures on?
Expert:  Mo Tax Expert replied 16 days ago.
What’s the difference in taxes?

Also, are you able to book a call for a chat?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
163;600/£700 difference. I think he was using to different invoice pads is where the confusion lies.
Expert:  Mo Tax Expert replied 16 days ago.
Thank you for your reply.

Please submit an amended return for 19/20.

Expert:  Mo Tax Expert replied 15 days ago.


Hope all is well?

Are you clear on the underpayment inquiry?

I hope my answer was helpful, and you can now proceed with the filing of the amended tax return for the period.

Wishing you all the best.