How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 16907
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I am moving permanently to Turkey on 12th September 2022. I

This answer was rated:

HI Sam, I am moving permanently to Turkey on 12th September 2022. I am currently in full time employment with a UK company and this company has granted a flexible working request to carry out my duties from Turkey and still receive my UK income. My UK employer has no connections with Turkey, will I be liable to pay tax in Turkey on this UK income if I am outside of the UK for more than 183 days of a tax year? Thank you, Elizabeth
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi, my permanent home will be in Turkey from September 2022, I will have no home in the UK. I plan to visit the UK to see family only 4 weeks per year.
Hi Elizabeth 

Thanks for your question and for asking for me

Yes you will be liable to Turkish tax on this income as you will b living and working in Turkey and bringing foreign income into their country but they will take any UK tax you have paid to cover this tax due the double taxation agreement our two countries have with each other



Customer: replied 15 days ago.
HI Sam, thank you, ***** ***** that might be the case. I am moving to Turkey permanently on 13th September, in the UK tax year I will have been in the UK 180 days in the tax year by that date. If I come back and work in the UK for another 5 days, does this mean I will be UK tax resident for the 2022/23 tax year or would I need to split my tax between the UK and Turkey for the 2022/23 tax year?



tax doesn't work like that you would be treated as resident and liable to UK tax from 06/04/2022 to the date you leave (regardless whether 10 or 200 days) and then not resident from the day you depart to live and work abroad

From the date you leave then the consideration of time spent in the UK from that date to the following 5th April is considered (so 90 days on a pro rata basis) and again then for the future full tax years (so visits of no more than 90 days per full tax year none of which can be work purposes)

Every year you would need to complete  a self assessment tax return for HMRC declaring the income and UK tax paid - and your resident position which would allow you to declare that final tax position in the Turkey tax department



Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Perfect thank you Sam :-)

You are very welcome