How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mo Tax Expert Your Own Question
Mo Tax Expert
Mo Tax Expert, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 640
Experience:  Accounting and Tax Expert
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Mo Tax Expert is online now

Am buying a crane for £130,00 plus VAT. Can I claim back the

Customer Question

Am buying a crane for £130,00 plus VAT. Can I claim back the £26,000 VAT on my next quarters return?
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Is there a cost for this service?
JA: The Expert's answer will cost $10 to $100, depending on the issue type and time to respond. You'll see the exact amount on the next page and can decide then. It's way less expensive and more convenient than any face-to-face visit.
Customer: Ok. I'm VAT registered
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mo Tax Expert replied 16 days ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer. I’m Mo Barrie, Qualified Accountant and Tax Expert. I’m currently reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.

Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Mo Tax Expert replied 16 days ago.

Are you vat registered?

What is your line of work?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Am VAT registered. Own and run a boatyard.
Expert:  Mo Tax Expert replied 16 days ago.

Will the crane be used for your business activities?

Expert:  Mo Tax Expert replied 16 days ago.

Also, is the purchase finance or outright purchase?

Expert:  Mo Tax Expert replied 15 days ago.


I haven't heard back from you.

Have I answered your question completely?

Expert:  Mo Tax Expert replied 14 days ago.

The General rule is that you can only claim VAT back on construction equipment that is used wholly and exclusively for your business.