How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 16907
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I work for a US company who granted me phantom shares a

Customer Question

Hi, I work for a US company who granted me phantom shares a number of years ago. I have a decision now whether to take those shares as cash or roll them over to Class A shares. Question I have is how tax is taken if I choose to roll them over
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK based
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None, I have this week to advise the company of my choice. I understand the tax rules if I claim the money, but I dont understand the tax rules if I roll them from Phantom into real class A shares
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
The big question I have is whether or not I will need to pay any tax now or at the end of this tax year myself or whether the tax is taken during the transfer and therefore I dont have to pay anything myself
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi, just checking if my questions are clear or whether you require any other information ?
Expert:  Sam replied 14 days ago.

if you roll over then you do not pay any tax until these Class A shares are sold at which point you gain will be the sale cost less the original acquisition price (prior to the roll over)