How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask [email protected] Your Own Question
[email protected], Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 779
Experience:  Executive Director at [email protected]
Type Your Tax Question Here...
[email protected] is online now

If I sell an asset which I inherited from my wife and on

This answer was rated:

If I sell an asset which I inherited from my wife and on which no IHT was paid because of spouse exemption, is the base cost my wife's base cost or the market value at the date of her death?
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. I'm [email protected], a UK-Qualified Chartered Certified Accountant with over 15 years of experience. I'll be answering your question today.

The base cost will be the wife's cost of purchase. When spousal transfer occur, the CGT is called hold over relief. It means CGT is delayed to the time when the property is sold.

The receiving partner will pay the CGT using the base cost at the time of the original purchase of the property

[email protected] and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

I hope I've answered your question? If, however, any part of my response is unclear, please do let me know and I'll try to explain it further.

Thank you for the positive feedback.