How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mo Tax Expert Your Own Question
Mo Tax Expert
Mo Tax Expert, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 723
Experience:  Accounting and Tax Expert
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Mo Tax Expert is online now

I am a self-employed teacher (I teach online) and lived for

Customer Question

Hello, I am a self-employed teacher (I teach online) and lived for 5,5 years in the UK and have paid my tax there. However, the last 6 months I have spent abroad (February till July) which should be ok as the tax year in the UK only starts in April and I am not allowed to spend more than 180 days a year outside of the country, is that correct? If i declare tax now in the UK for 2021 and 2022, I wonder what would happen if I spend more time abroad? Could you help with that? Thanks, Cornelia
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: not yet
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: could you inform me about the costs of this service?
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mo Tax Expert replied 13 days ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer. I’m Mo, a Qualified Accountant and Tax Expert. I’m currently reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.

Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Mo Tax Expert replied 13 days ago.

The 183 days is usually for non-resident and or domicile of the UK.

You would need to take the statutory residence test first to determine that, as your residence can not only be determined by the number of days you spend in the UK.

Expert:  Mo Tax Expert replied 12 days ago.


I haven’t heard back from you.

I do hope I have answered your question.

Let me know if you need any further help.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thanks for the information. For 2021/2022 it looks straight forward as I have spend more than 183 in the country and therefore count as a resident. I just wonder what disadvantages might arise if I move to Spain now and become a resident there, I guess I would have to pay taxes twice for the months February and March as the financial year in the UK only starts in April, is that correct?
Could I also get some general advice on how to live as a digital nomad with a home base in the UK? How would that work?
Thanks a lot,
Expert:  Mo Tax Expert replied 11 days ago.

Hi Cornelia,

Thank you for your patience.

Usually yes. However, the DTA would allow you to claim credit in Spain for taxes paid in the UK during that period. That if you are considered a resident in Spain (during that time).

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** very helpful. Any thoughts on the working abroad as a digital nomad with a home base in the UK? Thanks!
Expert:  Mo Tax Expert replied 8 days ago.

You are very welcome.

This would depend on you long term goal.

Also if possible considering setting up a limited company is an another option.

Wishing you all the best.