Mo Tax Expert
Mo Tax Expert, Accountant
Experience:  Accounting and Tax Expert
115058980

UK tax

Customer Question

UK tax
Expert:  Mo Tax Expert replied 12 days ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer.

I’m Mo, a Qualified Accountant and Tax Expert.

What is the nature of your problem?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi . I am moving to UK from HK starting from 13 Aug. How much private resident relief if I sold my flat in HK.I lived in my flat between Mar 2015 - Aug 2017. The rented it out fully to another ppl till Mar 2021. The. empty it till now.Could the empty period also available to claim the relief if I finally able to sell it few months laterTo add on , I rented a house to live in since March 2015 give my original house is too small to house my familyI did not own other house at the same time

You don't normally have to pay CGT on the sale of your main residence. This is covered by Private Residence Relief (PRR) rules (formerly known as Principal Private Residence Relief). If you are a landlord, PRR will also apply if the property you're selling was at some stage, your only or main residence.

If you have partially lived in the property and rented. The CGT would be apportioned based on the time lived in the property versus the time rented.

Below is a useful link:

https://www.gov.uk/tax-sell-home/let-out-part-of-home

Also, the empty period would not be included in the relief.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thanks . I found that there is also 9 months period exemption in the link ?So if I lived in a home for 12 months . Rent it for 24 months . And empty it for 13 months . The relief can be claimed is (12 months / ( 12 months + 24 months + 13 months minus 9 months ) )?

Indeed nine months would be allowable if you had been living in the property prior to empty. However, in your case, the property was rented; hence it may be problematic.

Expert:  Mo Tax Expert replied 11 days ago.

You have not replied to my last message.

I hope you now have clarity on the matter; otherwise, please let me know.

Thank you for the inquiry. It was my pleasure to assist you.