bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

UK stamp duty question. I've been approached by a company

UK stamp duty question. I've been approached by a company which claims to be able to be able to claim back the additional 3% stamp duty I paid on my buy to let property in 2019. They say if there were major issues with the property (mould, asbestos, no heating were my issues), then I am eligible for a refund. Is this legitimate and could it potentially result in HMRC investigating me generally.
Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

In PN Bewley Ltd v HMRC, 2019 UKFTT 0065 TC, the first tier tribunal ruled that higher rate stamp duty does not apply to the purchase of a buy to let property that is too dilapidated to be considered a dwelling.

So there you are, but be careful, the test is pretty severe; effectively it must not be fit for human habitation.

Hope that is of assistance.