Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Toyota Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

celica vvti 149k,, year 2000, bought this lovey looking car

celica vvti 149k,, year 2000, bought this lovey looking car for my wife but she is complaining she doesn't feel safe driving it,not like her previous st185 which stuck to the road like glue.I have been out driving the new car and my wife has a point, even when you hold the steering wheel in the centre you still have the sensation the car is moving about underneath from left to right depending on what the road dictates,you feel as though coming out of a tight turn the car isnt keen on returning back to the home position,the back end doesn,t seem stable,A quik fit guy at the weekend had a look and said apart from a little play in one of the tie rod ends he couldnt realy fault the steering ? any ideas ?
Hi,my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you with your question.
The issue that you are describing is consistent with worn sway bar bushings and worn or loose sway bar links. This is what will cause what you are describing,also play in the inner or outer tie rods even a little will result in the symptoms that you are having.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi mate,thanks for your reply, i had hoped you might suggest the rear shock absorbers since the back of the car feels spongy and one can push the car up and down a it too easy ?could worn rear shocks give the symptom i described ?

Yes worn shocks can give this feeling you described but only going over bumps on a smooth straight away the shocks would not have a effect.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Okay mate, are the sway bar components at the front or rear,are they expensive components? i know the outer tie rod ends are about £20 each, the inner ones are very expensive though, Thanks again, George

They are located at the front of the vehicle and they cost about the same as the outer rod ends.