Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Toyota Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

toyota previa 2006. Loud buzzing noise from engine area when

toyota previa 2006. Loud buzzing noise from engine area when starting from cold. Noise goes after one minute.

Hello, welcome. My name isXXXXX will do my very best to
assist you with your question.

Are there any type of warning lights coming on?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No warning lights. Performance seems fine.

I recently drove 300 miles (because I had no choice) and had no problems.

The noise takes off a second or so after the engine fires - as the revs increase to the fast start-up idling speed.

The noise is sufficiently loud and disturbing for me not to let it go. It sounds like a swarm of wasps when parked close to a wall. But it fades to nothing after less than a minute, usually.

Ok from what you are describing this noise is coming from the harmonic balancer/crankshaft pully. This is pretty common over time and to correct this issue the pulley is to be replaced.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks, Mike.

I'll take action on this.

Could I just ask you whether it's a risk to drive it with this fault still there?

I need to make a journey soon, earlier than i can get the fault fixed.

Yours, Colin.

This will normally cause no other problems than just the noise so you would be safe to drive. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the reassurance!

Happy New year!

Yours, Colin.

Thank you. Same to you.