Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

I have a Toyota land cruiser 100 series 2001 4.2 diesel

Customer Question

hi, I have a Toyota land cruiser 100 series 2001 4.2 diesel auto . my wiper just turn them selves on anytime of the day. wet or not where can I find the relay ecu that controls the front wipers. thanks garry
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Peter Zavarelli replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This may be a fault with the wiper switch assembly itself.If the wiper switch assembly has an internal short in it this will cause this issue and the switch would need to be replaced.Try jiggling the switch when this occurs and if the wipers then turn off even if briefly then the switch usually needs to be replaced.If this was already attempted let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
hi, thanks for the reply but I didn't ask about the wiper switch which it isn't the fault I asked where the control relay for the wipers is located in the front, as the fault is the wipers switch them selves on when they feel like it. cheers garry

Your welcome Garry.I wasn't sure if the switch was already checked so I wanted to mention that first.Let me do some research real quick and see what I can find on this.I will post back here shortly.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok thanks.

On this model, there is no relay or control module that controls the front wipers.It is a direct voltage feed from the wiper switch itself.I will post the wiring diagram below for you to see this.With the issue you have here the wiper switch or wiper motor would be the cause but since it is voltage controlled the most common is the wiper switch at fault or shorted to voltage wiring leading from the switch to the motor or the power feed from the fuse to the motor is shorted in the motor intermittently causing this fault.You would need to do some electrical testing according to the wiring below to locate the fault to be sure.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/smipiet7ix25tzi/wi-01-14.png?dl=0

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete