Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

The power steering on my 2001 MR2 has failed at 95000 miles

Customer Question

The power steering on my 2001 MR2 has failed at 95000 miles - my local garage says a replacement unit from the agents will cost approximately £1800.00. The car is in daily use and drives beautifully but the cost of a replacement is more than the car is valued at.
What are my options I am reluctant to scrap it?
Also apparently without the unit being replaced it will fail its next MOT which is due in April.
I am still driving the car but is it safe to do so?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Peter Zavarelli replied 5 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

I do not recommend driving it to much with the power steering acting up like you see here as this can cause more damage to other steering components if there is a lack of fluid flow through the steering components due to the failed component.

You can see if you can locate the part you need to be used at a salvage yard as this could be a cheaper option to have installed to repair this issue here.Other then this you might check online to see if you can find the part you need new at a cheaper cost.But it will need to be repaired to pass your next inspection.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete