Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 1991 Toyota Celica 125 K in excellent condition.

Customer Question

I have a 1991 Toyota Celica 125 K in excellent condition. Sometime ago my clutch pedal stopped fully returning when I changed gear. The change would be ok but to use the clutch again I had to pull it up putting my toe below the pedal. I wasn't losing fluid. Garage which normally services the car recommended that slave & master cylinder be replaced. done & pedal back to normal operation. But for the first time the clutch started slipping in any gear but not until the car had reached normal operating temperature - say a 10 mile run. Before that point it satisfied all the usual tests for a slipping clutch. But I had the clutch replaced - old one worn but not to rivets - no oil nor sign of anything which would provoke slip. New clutch is excellent - but after 10 miles or so the clutch will slip if I let it. Have you any ideas please?.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Matt replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

I'd 1st check that the new master cylinder hasn't somehow gotten pre-loaded by the pedal

as on most clutch pedals there's some adjustment of the push-rod between cylinder and pedal

there should be a little bit of free play in the pedal before there's any effort / motion of the cylinder. if its tight then you may be loading up the cylinder very slightly

if this is OK then I'd suspect that the new clutch may not be the right specification and is sitting a little higher than the original - again preloading on the slave cylinder and causing it to slip

on these I think the slave cylinder is outside the bellhousing so you can try moving the cylinder on its holes so there's no preload

Expert:  Matt replied 7 months ago.

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.

If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies

Thanks Matt

Expert:  Matt replied 7 months ago.

do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt