Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I had a intermittent loss of power started happening on a

Hi I had a intermittent loss of power started happening on a trip. It wasn't misfiring just would lose power then come back on. Two days later it was still happening I went down a bump road and it he ret of the journey 200 km it was fine. Yesterday it just died whilst driving along. Advised to change the fuel pump which I did. It will turn over but not fire. There was a wire which was attached to the metal cover on the top of the engine , the over end not attached to anything - it looks like it may have been attached to the -Ve battery connector - is that an earth strap , could it have been cause of the problem, shorting on the chassis perhaps and now buffered the alternator ?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Buggered the alternator not buffered

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

can you use the paperclip button to attach an image of the this loose wire?

as it sounds like it may be a ground wire? and if its the one for the ECU then yes it can create all sorts of odd running issues

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi I checked that. I checked the air filter and discovered a disintegrated filter element with a piece about inch by inch stuck in the air intake tubing. Removed all loose material and replaced filter and engine started & ran. Problem solved.... pays to check the simple stuff first. Car had supposedly had a full service inc filters when I bought it so I didn’t bother checking it

well done for sorting it

is there anything else I can help with?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No thanks. Cheers