Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

My car earlier was squealing when accelerating and getting

Customer Question

hi, my car earlier was squealing when accelerating and getting more high pitch the more revs went in, when i changed gear it would go back to low pitched. i left my car for 10 mins and then returned to find the sound had stopped. not sure what this could be?
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: its has happened just the once today. it sounded like the engine
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: toyota aygo 08
JA: What year is your Toyota?
Customer: 08
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i havent tried anything as of yet as dont have a diagnosis for it
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: just maybe that it didnt sound exactly like your typical fan belt squeal, and was constant while i was driving
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

Hi..there..

If it was high pitched squeeling noise thats changes with RPM or engine speed..then its probably quite likely the auxillary/fan belt is slipping or soemthing that belt runs is siezed up or or binding causing the belt to slip..open the bonnet and have an inspection down the drivers side of the engine and ensure the belt is still there..given that you have said the nosie suddenly stopped...you want to esnure the belt hasnt actually snapped or fallen off..if it has then your best either contacting your breakdown service either RAC,AA,GREENFLAG who ever your with to get it to garage and have the belt replaced or even maybe a decent mobile mechanic to check it out...