Stephen Rothwell
Stephen Rothwell,
Experience:  Director at Steve Rothwell Limited
106618989

My Key fob has stopped working It probably needs a new

Customer Question

My Key fob has stopped working It probably needs a new battery
JA: Have you double-checked to make sure the positive and negative signs are lined up correctly?
Customer: Yes I have been using it for some time . It is an Xreg car
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: X252 ELE
JA: What year is your Toyota?
Customer: 2000 i think
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing .No I will need help
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think things get messed up changing the battery. My Son could probably help
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Stephen Rothwell replied 6 days ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Steve and I am a fully qualified vehicle technician with over thirty years in the trade, hopefully I can help.

If the battery in your remote key is flat you will need to purchase a CR1616 battery, many shops sell this small disc type batteries.

Once you have the battery you should follow the instructions on the picture I have attached.

If after this the remote still does not work you may need to reset it, this is done as follows:

Open the drivers door and remove the key from the ignition switch.
Insert key into ignition switch, then remove it again.
Within 40 seconds: Close and open driver's door twice.
Insert key into ignition switch, then remove it.
Close driver's door.
Insert key into ignition switch.
Switch ignition ON and OFF once to program a new key code whilst retaining the original codes or twice to program a new key code whilst erasing the original codes.
Remove key.
System should now lock and unlock vehicle, once or twice depending which mode has been selected.
Carry out the following button procedure within 20 seconds:
Yaris built in Japan and Yaris Verso: Simultaneously press and hold key lock and unlock buttons for 1 - 1,5 seconds .
Yaris built in France: Press key lock button for a minimum of 1 second and release.
Within 3 seconds:
Press key lock button for a minimum of 1 second and release.
System should now lock and unlock vehicle.

As the instructions are quite complicated you should read through them and familiarise yourself before starting the process. You may wish to ask your son to help as you suggested.

If after changing the battery all works ok you will not need to go through this process.

I hope this answers your question but do please ask me for any further details.

If this does answer your question please click accept and rate me, this allows me to continue.

Even after you have accepted my answer you can continue to ask further questions.

Many Thanks

Steve

Hi you need to click on the link above to see the picture.

Many Thanks

Steve