Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

When I started the engine this morning my Toyota Prius plus

Customer Question

Hi, when I started the engine this morning my Toyota Prius plus excel made a roaring noise, I don't know what the issue is. When I went out and looked around and under I saw something suspicious, there is a 5cm long spring and bolt on the floor and something like a cover is hanging and there looks like a rubber tube hanging there as well
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: It is a relatively new car a Toyota Prius plus excel of 69 registration with just 15000 miles, I bought it only last week
JA: What year is your Prius?
Customer: 2019, I'm here in London, UK
JA: Are you fixing your Prius yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I called the dealer where I bought it from they told me to call Toyota because it is still in warranty
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: My worry is that whether thieves have tried to remove the catalytic converter or they might have taken it, how can I tell?
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
How long? Its been 2hrs
Expert:  Robert replied 12 days ago.

Hi..there..

If your catalytic converter has been stolen..you will know straight away as you will obviously hear the engine running alot louder then it normally did..like a large open hole in your exhaust for example... but you will also be able to know too if you see bits of metal of bolts laying around under neath..although because those theives use Reciprocating Saws..it usually a clean cut at either side of the converter..unless you can get it jacked up to have look underneath or know of local garage you can take it too and get it ona ramp.then you know either way whats happened..