Gavin Perry
Gavin Perry, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
105804848

Re: Toyota MR2. Its been stood for a year, and the battery

Customer Question

Re: Toyota MR2.
Its been stood for a year, and the battery died. So recharged it for hours today. It would recharge well, headlights on, but now the car is not turning. After turning the ignition , its just making a whirr again and again for several times before it dies off. Pressing on the gas doesnt seem to do anyhing.Any idea what is wrong here all of a sudden ??
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Gavin Perry replied 14 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** am here to assist you Today the whirr noise you mention is that the engine turning over slowly.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
then stops doing this after about 5 times or so. Ive tried a new battery

Have you checked for a damaged / corroded earth lead.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No why ?
Expert:  Gavin Perry replied 13 days ago.

Morning could you check the earth / ground lead .

I would like more information with the information i have please check the following 1 Battery earth lead 2 Starter motor 3 check the timing chain tensioner has not failed feel free to get back to me regards Gavin.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
hi. the leads are fine. ive checked the battery connectors and cleaned them.today i went back and charged the calcium battery more with better leads and a better battery, and then I tapped the starter motor, the engine finally started and stalled after a second.
After this I carried on charging the battery for another half an hour and nothing, same turning over.
When I try to start the car the headlights are dimming slightly when it is turning, but they are fully bright without starting the engine..
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
engine didnt start the moment after tapping the starter motor, it started after. the engine light is NOT on.
previously for a year it did come on/off sometimes because of a o2 sensor failure (according to ODB, no other fault codes), i just didnt get round to changing the sensor over but i cant imagine it stopping the car from starting. its always used to turn over quick... the only thing ive done is not drive the car for 1 year due to covid.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ive been charging the calcium battery for about 2-3 hours in total with jump leads. maybe 1.5 hours with the connectors cleaned could it still be this calcium battery ??
Expert:  Gavin Perry replied 8 days ago.

Hi could you check and clean the earth that goes to the body and engine of the vehicle.