sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

I have toyota mr2 roadster 2004. The issue is with a high

Customer Question

I have toyota mr2 roadster 2004 . The issue is with a high idle when warm. When at optimum running temp it's around 1800 rpm...We know it's not the throttle cable...Any advice would be appreciatedKind regardsDarren
Category: Toyota
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 17 days ago.

Dear customer my name is***** the expert who will attend you today, I am reviewing your query at the moment you are viewing this message, if you wish you can tell me your name, to know who I have the pleasure to talk to, also if possible I would like you to send me a photo or video in which your fault is better appreciated, it would help a lot to improve my final answer. If you have done a previous check or diagnosis in which you have obtained any error codes, that would also be helpful. Please note that the system will automatically offer you a service call, this has an additional cost to the initial cost of the consultation, and not in all cases it is necessary, so I recommend you to dispense with the call for now, we can continue through this chat without any problem. Thank you very much for trusting in the just answer.

Dear customer, have you done any diagnostics with a diagnostic tool?

An unstable idle is very easy to determine, as it produces a continuous sound and we are used to the noise our car makes. In addition, we surely know the revolutions of our car when it is in idle time. Any variation in the intensity of this sound or in the engine revolutions should alert us and we should go to our garage to find out what the causes are that alter the idling of our vehicle.

There are several factors that can cause an unstable idle, so it is always best in these cases to begin to evaluate the problem with a diagnosis from a diagnostic tool to detect if there is damage to any sensor.

The elements that normally affect the relenti are:

• Timing belt:  when a tooth is omitted due to wear, the timing cam is destabilised, causing the engine to be out of sync. This repair must be carried out by a specialised mechanic.
  • Damage to electrical components: the distributor cap, spark plugs or their wires may be the source of the problem. To solve the problem, they must be replaced. Any professional workshop will do it if you do not have the necessary knowledge to do it. 
  • Vacuum hoses: if they are loose or broken, they cause irregular idling. Replacing them will solve the problem. 
  • Clogged filters: If the air filter or fuel filter is clogged, it will cause irregularities in the car's idling. The air filter is easy to monitor. The fuel filter is more complicated, so we recommend that you have it changed at your vehicle's regular service intervals.

If you have any questions or other information that you think may help me to better understand your question and the final answer, please let me know so that we can look into it further.

Dear customer, it is my pleasure to serve you. You may wish to mark me as a favourite expert for future reference. I hope I was able to answer your question. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a Favourite Expert. You will have the option to do so on your "My Questions" page or you can request me by name on the site if you wish. My name is @Exp-JoseSebas Thank you for trusting Justanswer.