How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK-Justice Your Own Question
UK-Justice, Barrister
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 16193
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
UK-Justice is online now

I Chose Social, Domestic & Pleasure for my Car Insurance policy

This answer was rated:

I Chose Social, Domestic & Pleasure for my Car Insurance policy instead of Social, Domestic & pleasure (incl. commuting) which i did not know (commuting ) meant driving to work. My insurance company sent me the Policy Certificate since November last year and in it, Driving to and from Place of employment or study was among the EXCLUSIONS but i didn't Read it until last week when they wrote me 3 times threatening to INVALIDATE my policy. ONLINE they did not state PLACE of Employment but Commuting. I bought my Car to take me to work,i filled in my address of employment etc. After the accident, i called to inform them and they asked me where i was coming from and i said from my place of work. Can i tell them that if i had intention to mislead or defraud them? What can i do ? please help.

Thanks for your question, my name isXXXXX will do whatever I can to help you today.

Have they not just asked you to pay the extra premium?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No. Nothing like that yet. They wrote: I refer to our letters dated 2nd & 20th Feb 013 to which we have not received a response. As advised, for us to give further consideration to your Claim ( which i have already been paid ) and validate your policy please forward the following original documents. V5, Counter driving license & Photo Card,Certificate of Insurance , MOT Certificate. when you reported the claim you informed us that you use your vehicle to commute to and from work. You currently have social,Domestic and pleasure use only on your policy. Please provide me with written explanation as to why you did not disclose the correct information regarding the usage of your vehicle at inception of this policy. FAILURE TO CO-OPERATE COULD RESULT IN THE INVALIDATION OF YOUR POLICY. Respond next 7Days so that i can refer the issue to our underwriters for their consideration. Send by recorded delivery for safe delivery. End Quote. Tom

So you had an accident?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes. I had an accident on the 14.o1/2013

So why didn't you disclose to and from work?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Instead of stating to and from work after Social, Domestic & pleasure, they put (incl. commuting ). I didn't know the Word commuting to mean to & from work. I didn't want to choose the word i don't understand the meaning. I have no problem like this ever because thy usually state to & from place of work. I did not know also that Social, Domestic and pleasure will mean that i cannot use it to my place of employment. Too bad for me too , i did not read the POLICY CERTIFICATE which clearly stated that i cannot use it to work or study when they sent it to me until on the 14/03/2013 after getting 3 letters from them i became worried and decided to read it.


You need to write and apologise.

You need to explain why and how the misunderstanding came about.

Explain what the situation is. They will probably just back-calculate the premium to reflect the correct amount.

But write and explain. The worst case is that they refuse the claim.

But best case, is they increase your premium.

But at this stage just write and explain.

If they reject the claim, you can go via the Ombudsman at:

They are free, independent and can examine your complaint for free.

I hope this helps and if there is anything else I can do to help you today please let me know.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
UK-Justice and other Traffic Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Should i forward the following original documents. V5, Counter driving license & Photo Card,Certificate of Insurance , MOT Certificate to them as they requested?. Can i send you my letter of apology to see if it is OK?

Yes forward the documents.

Cut and paste the letter here.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thomas Shaibu.
112 Nightingale Heights,
Nightingale vale, SE18 4HJ
LONDON. 18/03/2013.

THE Manager,
Isurance Services.
8th Floor cole cross House'
156 Pilgrim Street
New castle upon Tyne,
NE1 6SU.

Attention: Teresa hearst.


I refer to your letter REF: Indem/TH/XA145997 and wish to
inform you that I did not understand the word (incl. commuting )
on your Website to mean Driving to and from work. That was why i
selected the best option among the five ONLINE of Social, Domestic and pleasure.
I bought my Car primarily to take me to my place of emplyment and if there are
one hundred boxes to Tick, i will tick the one that says to
Drive to and from place of employment as my first option before any other.

When i reported the accident to your staff, she asked me where i was coming from
and i immediately told her that i was going home from my place of work.

If i had the intention to mislead or defraud my insurance company,
would i have told her that i was going home from work ?
Infact i never knew that they exist a policy that forbid someone from
Driving to his place of work.As a health care assistant, i cannot
afford to be late to my work and that is the main reason why i bought the Car.

I have already sent 1.V5 Registeration Document to DVLA,
2. Certificate of Insurance to ASDA and my premium have been refunded.
3. MOT Certificate was sent to Kindertons a claim management that climed and salvaged my Car.
4. The only document with me now id my Driving license. Please let me know if you need this
and i will send it to you.please note the the claim for this Car is already settled.

Yours sincerely,
Thomas shaibu.

Yes that seems fine.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have no reply to the letter i forwarded to you to correct for me.


Have you seen that letter? Are working on it? You asked me to cut and paste which i did some time ago but no reply.

Yes I read it - the letter seems ok
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I made a mistake by saying that i sent V5 to DVLA instead of the Accident claim company. I just realized that after i sent it to you.


I will correct it before sending it off tomorrow.


Thanks for your help.




Welcome and good luck
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?