How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 71132
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I am thinking of using an internal car camera, for insurance

This answer was rated:

I am thinking of using an internal car camera, for insurance evidence etc. Can you tell me whether this is legal within England, UK ?
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Is there any reason you think it may not be?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My only concern is where it may have an impact on other people or road users privacy. In addition, I am not sure whether the recorded evidence could be used in a court of law if required.

Sorry for the delay.

There is absolutely nothing to worry about.

There is no freestanding tort of privacy in the Uk anyway. There have been attempts to extend the HRA out in that direction but they have largely failed.

In any event, if this is for your own personal purposes then there is a specific exclusion in the Data Protection Act covering it.

The only issue may be that the CCTV does need to be on the outside of the car with no mean of watching it inside! Otherwise the police will say it amounts to driving without due care and attention.

There's no prohibition on this. You can actually get motorcycle helmets with cameras fixed on them to deal with this problem now.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Jo C. and other Traffic Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile