How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 71057
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have been sent a letter saying Failure to comply with Insurance

This answer was rated:

I have been sent a letter saying Failure to comply with Insurance requirements
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes that letter was issued on a basis of record kept by Secretary of State that I was registered keeper of that vehicle but it was not insured.The reason why was not insured was that it was broken and I was struggling to repair the car as the no one could address the problem so I was not sure when the car will be drive-able again. So I did not declare SORN and did not have insurance in place.At that time car never was driven and moved only on a trailer on recovery truck.

Please I want to know what I am facing pleading not guilty in a court and what it takes to prove my innocence.


The only way you can prove your innocence is to produce either an insurance certificate or a SORN declaration. Since you can do neither here I'm afraid your only option is to plead guilty.

If this is just failing to comply with insurance requirements to keep the vehicle continuously insured rather than driving without insurance then that does not carry points but only a fine.

The fine will be between 125-175 % of your weekly income, costs of £85 if you plead guilty at the first possible opportunity and the surcharge of roughly £50.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.





Last thing which is really important to me. Does pleading guilty will result in a criminal record?


Yes, but not a very serious one. Its not one that has any impact on your character.

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Jo c


Will giving any mittigating circumstances affect the amount of all cost all together?



Not the costs but it may reduce the fine.
Jo C. and other Traffic Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Jo C


When this criminal record will be cleared from my files?


It will always remain on PNC but it will drop off basic checking after 1 year and enhanced after 11 years.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Jo C


Would you advise going to the court and be present at court case?


It is generally better to attend in person and mitigate yourself.