How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 71132
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

i have a business on a private industrial road my unit is leasehold

Customer Question

i have a business on a private industrial road my unit is leasehold and i contribute to the maintenance of the road ,the road also has controlled parking enforced by ukpc put in place by the freeholder and we pay for parking permits ,the public have access to the road .
often we have to double park due to lack of parking spaces, recently we have had police coming on to the road and threatening to charge us for double parking although they havent yet
Do they have the authority to come on to the road and enforce parking laws ?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Is there any reason why you think they might not be able to do this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i thought the road was private land and normal parking laws do not apply

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Does the double parking block the exit?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry for delay No it doesent block exit

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

One the face of it, they do not have authority to act.

This is private land so not covered by the RTA.

If an obstruction is caused then it must block the highway to offend. It doesn't have to be on the highway but it can block exist or entrances. You seem to be saying that this isn't an entrance or exit but within the complex of the private land location.

Can I clarify anything for you?