How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 71136
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have homes in Ireland and the UK. My driving licence is

This answer was rated:

I have homes in Ireland and the UK. My driving licence is from the UK and my car has UK road tax and insurance. I would like to keep each of these as they are, how can I continue to own a house in Ireland and drive and live a good part of the year in Ireland and remain legal? I want to continue to drive legally in the UK and Ireland

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
I presume this is Northern Ireland?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Jo,

N Ireland is part of the UK and I would not have any issues with regard to my UK licence driving there.My question refers to owning a uk registered car with uk road tax and insurance whilst living for a proportion of the year in the Republic of Ireland. I have homes in the UK and the Republic of Ireland. Are there restrictions or limits to the length of time I can legally drive in this part of Ireland before I would have to register my car within the Irish system, change my UK licence to an Irish one and also take out Irish car insurance?

I want to be able to live and drive in both the UK and Irish Republic but still retain my UK licence, road tax and insurance.



It depends.
Which is your primary residence?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am unsure of the meaning of 'primary residence'. At the moment I divide my time fairly evenly between the two. My only source of income is from UK pensions and I pay UK tax on these.

In that case, is there any reason you think you need to do anything? Ireland and the UK have long since enjoyed mutual recognition of licences.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Jo,

I am not sure that I need to do anything at all. but I do want to check things out . It has been suggested to me by a neighbour in Ireland that I might be stopped by the police here, if they see me driving around for a considerable period on UK plates, and asked why I have not registered my car in Ireland. I would like to know if I have to do this, or if, because I also have a home in England, I can simply continue to tax and insure it in England and drive it for any periods of time in both countries.



Sorry, I see what you mean.
You will find very detailed guidance here
but basically Ireland is in the EEA so you can use your UK licence there without restriction. You can hand it in and exchange if you want to do so.
You do need to check your insurance extends to travel within the EEA though.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Traffic Law Specialists are ready to help you