How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 71147
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

a policeman gave me a ticket for having my parking permit out

This answer was rated:

a policeman gave me a ticket for having my parking permit out of date, under common law is that legal as the council issue the permits and i thought it was a civil matter
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
How can I help with this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i live in a house with parking permits outside on the street, i forgot to renew it and a policeman gave me a ticket of a fine to pay £30 to be paid in two weeks, as the council issues these permits i thought it was a civil offence,not a criminal one so under common law do i have to pay it ?

No. You can always refuse a fine and wait to see if they summons you to court. You are entitled to contest it.
If you are asking though whether or not the fact that the officer issued this fine is a ground to dispute it then the answer is negative.
Parking fines have long since been de criminalised and the local councils have the power to issue fines. That does not mean the police cannot. It just means that the Council are now free to do so. It is the same offence.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Traffic Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi jo, if parking fines has been decriminalised then it must be civil and the police can't issue them. a council have no power to make their own laws, common law override any council.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.