How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 71133
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

hi,my friend took my car without permission and got arrested

This answer was rated:

hi,my friend took my car without permission and got arrested for drink driving. I dont want to press charges, but can he still get in trouble?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
If he was caught drink driving then he can be prosecuted for that obviously.
In relation to the taken and driven away the risk you face is that the police will threaten to prosecute you for allowing no insurance if you don't make a statement against him.
If you don't give evidence against him though then they will not be able to prove the taken and driven away.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Traffic Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your response, i have already given a statement. Does that count as evidence ? They came in the early hours of the morning and caught me of guard

Yes, but it isn't admissible per se.
Unless you are willing to go to court and give evidence they will not be able to convict but they may prosecute you if you don't.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok thanks. so just to clarify, he will get charged for drink driving but not for theft ?

if so then thats what i wanted to hear, I dont want him in anymore trouble.


Yes, if you refuse to give evidence.