How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 71041
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hello, I took our Motorhome to France therefore was not able

Customer Question

Hello, I took our Motorhome to France therefore was not able to re tax it because it did not have an MOT but did not send DVLA the Sorn notification either because it was not technically off the road. I re-registered it in France and during the process they kept the registration doc. Now I undersatnd I've got a £80 fine. I have written to dvla telling them I now live in France but understand they have passed the details onto a collection agency. Thanks, ***** *****
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
How can I help with this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello Jo, how do I get the fine set aside?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
On what basis?
You seem to accept having it untaxed and unsorned?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
But it was not in the UK. As I said I could not tax it but it was not in the UK. It was exported but I could not return the reg doc as the frech authorities had it!
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
No, but did you tell the DVLA you were exporting it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This is the job of the French authorities but they took so long over it the fine was imposed. I have sent dvla copies of the CT cert, French mot equivalent, and insurance cert. At no time was it illegal to take it on the road in France.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Is it your intention to take this motorhome outside the Uk for 12 months or more?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, it will never return to the UK and now has French plates
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
I am afraid it is your obligation to tell the DVLA that you have exported this vehicle.
You will find the procedure here
In these circumstances, I am afraid you are liable for the fine. You could ask them to consider the public interest of pursuing you in the circumstances and sometimes they will accept that.
If you now live in France then they are not likely to try to enforce this against you since there is no reciprocal agreement between France and the UK.
I'm very sorry but I have to give you truthful information.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It is my understanding that this section would be filled in by the relevant Frech authorities when I gave them the V5, if this section was missing from the V5 when I registered it for French plates the V5 would not have been accepted.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry but I cannot agree with that.
It is for you as the registered keeper to tell the UK DVLA.