How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

My son insured his car with direct line insurers on line in

Customer Question

My son insured his car with direct line insurers on line in february2014 as he had the previous year but he forgot to change his address and the insurance was in his previous family address. He noticed this so went on line and changed the address. In august 2014 he had a motor accident whereby he was not responsible but after a lot of dealings with the insurance company they said his address was his previous address on the policy. Although one person on the phone with direct line said they could tell on the system that he had tried to change it. The insurance company then asked my son to pay a years premium in October and they would void the policy from October. He has now received a bill from the underwriters coral stating they have void his policy from fe band in March 2014 he had a minor accident which cost the company that amount of money so he had to pay the bill. The accident occurred in stand still traffic and my sons car touched the bumper of the car in front and the person of the other car has claimed personal juries of £2,400" my son was not aware of this claim at any time and states that he was not driving more than one mile per hour at the time. So does he have to pay this bill when he thought he was insured and paid the premium for the year and 2 that he was not informed of the other claim until now when he received this bill.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

Has he made a formal complaint yet please?

JACUSTOMER-itn40xvg- : No he hasn'tt. He has spoken to them on several occasions re this matter. The letter he received on 21st Feb States that he has to pay £3840 within the next seven days. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thankyou
Alex Watts : What was the basis of the insurance being refused, just the change of address?
JACUSTOMER-itn40xvg- : Yes. He had informed the insurance company on line of his new address and this had been acknowledged in a phone call. Subsequently they claim that he had not changed his address.
Alex Watts :

You need to write and make a formal complaint which will be investigated.

Alex Watts :

They will provide a formal written response. If you are still not satisfied then and only then can you take it to the Ombudsman.

Alex Watts :

They offer a free, independent service and can investigate your complaint for free

Alex Watts :

They are located at:

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

JACUSTOMER-itn40xvg- : Thankyou. Was the tota
Alex Watts :

I dont understand?

JACUSTOMER-itn40xvg- : charge for your advice d £32 I. Clicked on 7 days free trial by mistake and it said I had membership. I followed instructions to cancel can you confirm I do not have any kind of subscription Thank you for your advice we will do that.
Alex Watts :

Sadly you need to contact customer services. I can only see questions

Alex Watts :

Can I ask you to rate my answer then email them please?

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: