How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 71135
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I received court summons on dual carriageway

This answer was rated:

Hi, I received court summons for speeding on dual carriageway and acc to statement there is no evidence confirming it other than Officer statement saying he was doing 110mph.... No device used no other witness... Is that sufficient as I thought that the speeding offences have to be supported by at least two witnesses...
I was stopped by the officer but I never accepted the speeding...
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with thaaa
The evidence will be prior opinion from the officer supported either by a VASCAR device in his car or the reading from his own speedometer as he travelled alongside or behind you.
This was the way that speeding offences were always detected before technology moved on although it is not so accurate as a GATSO device and therefore the speeds proportionate to the limit need to be higher.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi there was no device at all just him stating his speed
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I mean no supporting evidence whatsoever and that is why I wanted to know if his statement itself would be sufficient
There is supporting evidence. He will be saying he ascertained your speed from his own speedometer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sure, but is one witness only enough? Can I request any certification of his speedometer that would guarantee the reading as correct? What if my speedo showed 70?
Yes, one witness is enough. That is how these offences were always prosecuted before GATSOs became widespread.
Yes, you can request that. To do that you would need to plead not guilty at court and set it down for a trial, submit a defence statement setting out your defence which prompts that specific disclosure. Then if you plead or lose after a trial though you would be facing an onerous costs order.
Realistically, the Bench are going to accept his evidence. This is 110mph. There is not much room for error.
Jo C. and other Traffic Law Specialists are ready to help you