How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 71040
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

There. I recently got stopped by the police in the UK.

Customer Question

Hi there. I recently got stopped by the police in the UK. They are attempting to prosocute me for driving on a USA lisence after being in the country for less than 6 months infact only 3-4 months. I reside in the USA. Can you please explain the law on
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Do they accept you were only here for three to four months?
I'm due in court this morning so I might not respond until 10 am
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They have to I have my USA passport to prove it!
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Well, sadly that doesn't necessarily prove anything these days.
Are they saying your licence isn't valid?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No my USA lisence is totally valid...... look can you just tell me the time frame you are allowed to drive on a USA lisence in the UK if your usually resident in the USA?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
It is not that simple. There must be more to this.
You can drive on a foreign licence for up to six months but there will be more to this than that.
The crown do bring silly prosecutions sometimes although mostly those are sexual offences and domestic twaddle. It is rare they bring a case where there is just no evidence at all involving road traffic.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They are saying because I lived in the UK prior 3 years before that that because I have a provisional UK lisence that it overrides my full american one even though I have not been in the country for longer than 6 months over the past 3 years.......
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
That makes sense.
If you have a UK provisional then that does indeed over rides foreign entitlements.
That is the basis for this.
Sorry if that is bad news.