How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 71042
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I've received my first speeding offence in 20 years and I'm

Customer Question

I've received my first speeding offence in 20 years and I'm truly mortified. I was caught speeding 61mph in a 40mph zone on a dual carriageway where the speed limit drops from the national limit down to 40mph. I'm signing the notification of intended prosecution but I'm worried what will happen next. Can you help me with regards ***** ***** next part of the process. Will I loose my license?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Is there any reason you think you might?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Only half of the question came through can you resend it please.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Don't worry. It doesn't really matter.
You won't lose your licence.
if this is 61 mph in a 40 mph zone then you are in the middle of the middle sentencing bracket which recommends 4-6 points or a ban of between 7 - 28 days.
They almost never ban immediately unless there were aggravating features like workmen on site or something similar to that. I would expect 4- 5 points.
Since you have had your licence for more than 2 years it wouldn't matter even if you got 6 points as you are not a new driver so not at risk of revocation.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will I need to go to court?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
You can plead by post but it is a good idea to go to make representations upon any ban they are considering.
Although if you stayed away you would avoid a ban.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm happy with the points so if they can me points on my license would that be the end of it and I wouldn't have to go to court?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
No, you can plead by post.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So if I just send back the NIP will they write to me to tell me about what points they are going to give me?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
They will write back offering a fixed penalty or an awareness course. If you try to accept they will probably withdraw that and summons though as they will realise the speed. If they do not notice then that is wonderful.
Nobody will tell you what sentence will be imposed until you are sentenced.