How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 71030
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have received a letter via work yesterday from the police asking details of

This answer was rated:

Hi, I have received a letter via work yesterday from the police asking for the details of who was driving a vehicle at a certain day, time and location and that I failed to stop and exchange details. I have no knowledge of any such incident. The company has asked me to fill in the requested form and they will send it back to the police. No one has been in touch with the company about any incident concerning the vehicle I was driving, which is a bit strange. The location of the incident reported does not match the street name of where my vehicle was at that time , they have put the correct name but put street instead of road.I don't know if I should send them a letter explaining that I have no knowledge any such incident and that if I knew I had had an incident I would have exchanged details. I rely on my licence for work and have never had any points or prosecutions in nearly 40 years and this is playing on my mind. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Regards ***** *****
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this. Have they provided any evidence, such as photographs?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jo, I hav'nt had anything from them yet , just the form sent to work asking for the driver details at the alleged time. I was wondering if I should just send them a letter saying that I was'nt aware I had had and incident so did'nt know about exchanging any details.The company I work for has not had any details or anything from the person that took the registration and gave it to the police.They put on the form incident was at Carlton Street but I don't go there , I go on Carlton road so the form sent has wrong has said that if need be we will go to court and they will provide the solicitor. I just wondered if it would be beneficial for me to tell them I have no idea about the incident in a letter and see what the outcome is. Most people would get in touch with the company about such things first before contacting the police, they have not done so and the company seem to think it may be a bit suspect trying to get a claim.I have no idea how long it will be before the police get in touch with me and ask me questions. Does putting the wrong location make any difference ? I might just wait and see what happens and if they want to take it further. Regards ***** *****
OK. I presume your question is about your criminal position rather than your employment one?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi , it is both , if I get too many points I will lose my job and as to criminal one I have no criminal convictions or even had a parking ticket.I have not had anything from the police about the so called incident so maybe I'm just worrying about nothing and should just wait and see what happens and what the police intend to do . Regards, Peter.
I presume you do accept being the driver at the relevant time?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi , yes I assume driving the vehicle at that time but cannot recall having any incidents so didn't know I had to exchange details.The location that they have put down of the so called incident is not where I was at the time, I don't know if they have the wrong location put down or if they have the wrong registration.The police haven't said anything about what it entails or any other things.I have not had any interview about it from the police yet but would like to know if it would be better to have legal representation with me when interviewed . Regards, Peter.
Yes, you are better with representation than without. You might not get legal aid though depending on the charge so you may have to pay privately.
All you are being asked to do at this stage is name the driver. Therefore I would just do that and not say anything else.
At interview, there could be lots of explanations. It could be wrong numberplate. It could be wrong address. It could be a complete falsehood.
It is quite unlikely that the other party is lying. People do lie sometimes but not usually about random strangers who have done nothing to annoy them at all. The highest point here could be mistake.
If there wasn't an accident then there is obviously no duty to stop and report.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jo, thanks for the help. I will just let the police know via a letter that I was unaware that I had had an incident and so never knew I had to exchange details and see how it goes.No one has been in touch at all with work regarding any of this apart from the police wanting to know driver details. Work will pay for any legal representation if it goes further.The insurance officer from work is pretty clued up on things so I will let him be in on any interviews. Thank you again . Peter.
I wouldn't do that at this stage. Just fill out the NIP.
If you write anything with it then it can be used against you and it is easy to say something contrary to interest.
Any criminal solicitor will be better. These things are usually simple enough except that it isn't a defence to say there was an accident but you weren't aware of it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jo, thank you, ***** ***** just wait and see what happens. Thank you for your time. Regards ***** *****
No problem and all the best.
Please remember to rate my answer.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jomo1972’.
Jo C. and 2 other Traffic Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.
No problem.