How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

While my son was out of the country his car was borrowed but

This answer was rated:

While my son was out of the country his car was borrowed but we cannot confirm who by, could have been 1 of a possible 6 people. While borrowed the car received a parking ticket from a private car park operator. The car park operator has been chasing my son for over 12 months for payment of the ""fine" which has escalated and is now in the hands of a debt collection agency, with ever increasing fees and threats. The latest letter has threatened legal action to recover the fees. Simple question, is my son liable as he was out of the country, the car was borrowed without permission by 1 of 6 people?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
How come you dont know who borrowed it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
A number of different people use the car in my sons absence, he has been working abroad for the summer, we are unable to confirm who was driving the car at the time of the parking ticket.
Is he liable - yes. This is because the law allows a parking company to fine the owner under the Protection of Freedoms Act. It's not enough to say I don't know who it is because everyone could say that. As the owner he is responsible for who has the car.
So sadly, yes he is liable. If people have borrowed it without his permission this is an offence and should be reported to the police.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and 2 other Traffic Law Specialists are ready to help you