How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I was driving in the opposite lane to bypass a traffic jam

This answer was rated:

I was driving in the opposite lane to bypass a traffic jam in a 30mph zone what is the penalty for such an action
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
It depends on the speed and how long? Do you have other points?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had a clear licence and was late for a meeting to attend at the house of Lords and was driving about 32mph in a 30mph road but in the opposite lane there was no oncoming traffic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was forcefully arrested and taken to the local police station without having my rights read or anything and then taken to a mental hospital
It could be careless / inconsiderate driving. In this case the max penalty can be disqualification. But generally you would get points and a fine.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well this happened in 1999/2000 and I have never had the opportunity to clarify what the penalty should have been I was under the assumption it should have been points etc, I did not have my rights read to me by the police officer either. It is only now that I am thinking about having this all investigated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
would it come under the jurisdiction of traffic law or human rights?
Ok - then it makes no difference then. If you have not been charged they are out of time. No point getting it investigated - I would let sleeping dogs lie.
This wont be traffic law as it happened so long ago. If you are thinking of challenging if you have been convicted sadly you only have 28 days to lodge an appeal.
But as its happened so long ago for such a minor offence I would not let this worry you as it was over 15 years ago.
Can I clarify anything else for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well it destroyed my life I was taken to a mental hospital and had drugs administered to me as well as being labelled manic depressive. But thankyou for your help, I cant find peace until I get justice.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The police took me to the hospital.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Before that I was working and excelling in my career
You sadly have 3 years to bring a personal injury claim. This means you needed to bring it by 2003 at the very most. Sadly you are well out of time and the action is time barred under the Limitation Act 1980.
I am sorry that this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and other Traffic Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thankyou so much for your honesty and help. That is all I wanted to know.