How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 71129
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I think i have run through a red light. I have a European

This answer was rated:

I think i have run through a red light. I have a European License. The car is under my wife's name. If she gets the NIP (we have not received it yet), what is the best way to indentify myself with my European License? Should she send the NIP filled with my details and together with form D9 as, or by just sending the license, a parallel file for my license will be opened in the UK? How many points would be taken from the license? Tx
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
How long have you been resident in the UK?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
4 years
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Should we switch to live phone call?
Not if you don't want to. Online is fine.
Have you renewed your licence or exchanged it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She needs to respond to the NIP naming the driver. That is all she is asked to do. There is no need to do anything else at this stage.
Then they will write to you asking you to declare the driver's identity. You need to respond naming the driver.
Then they will either summons or offer you the red light awareness course if you are otherwise suitable.
S36 RTA only carries 3 points and a fine though.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Traffic Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
tx. should i register my license in the meantime or exchange it with a gb one, so that when i get contacted (if indeed there was an infraction), the process of taking points out of my license is easier? I heard that if the driver does not have a uk license, there is the risk of getting the european license disqualified. is that right? also why would they write to me to declare the driver's identity if my wife had already done that? shouldn't they send straight the penalty?tx
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hi still there?
Sorry, yes. Lost my connection.If you are on a European licence then you are able to drive on it until you are 70. The rules must have changed recently. I find it surprising because they can't add points but ther you have it.
Are you ready now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
All the best.