How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

My husband and I changed our car ownership from his name

Customer Question

Hi, my husband and I changed our car ownership from his name to my name so I am now the legal owner, however, we didn't change the insurance policy. That remains as him as the legal owner and I'm the named driver,will this make any difference if we were to have an accident and needed to claim?
Regards ***** *****
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you.This is usually a change you need to notify - it's a material difference which may result in the insurer refusing to indemnify and worse still if the policy is voided you could be prosecuted for driving without insurance. It's best, ***** ***** inform the insurance company of the change of ownership and update the policy.