How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 71050
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I was convicted of speeding over Tower Bridge on

This answer was rated:

I was convicted of speeding over Tower Bridge on 30/11/2015 and, as well as my fine, had to pay the excessive court fees that were put in place by the government (and then dropped after a few months). Under these rules you had to pay £180 (on top of court costs+fine+ 'victim surcharge') if you pleaded guilty. If you pleaded NOT guilty but were found guilty the fees were elevated to £1200. For this reason I, like many others, pleaded guilty and my total fine and expenses came to £455. Since then the government have abolished the new fee structure (end of 2015) as so many magistrates resigned over it. I have written to the court asking that they now drop these fees that were levied against me. Their response has been to send me a letter outlining the appeals procedure for making an appeal 'out of time.' My concern is that this is a lengthy procedure and that, as the letter points out, I could recieve an even hasher sentance than at first imposed. I was hoping they would just drop £180 off the bill.
Are you asking if you can appeal?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I'm assuming I can at least apply to appeal since they sent me the forms. I was hoping they would just retrospectively waive the now abandoned court fee but they just sent me the appeal forms. I would just be appealing the fees . Can I do it by post though or would I have to go the whole 9 yards and appear in court all over again?
There is no prospect of that I'm afraid.At the time that you were sentenced the court charge was in place and it will not be removed because the law has now changed.The very highest you could achieve is that they would sentence afresh but then you would face increased costs to cover the appeal.You would have to appear in court again Im afraid.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, thanks for your advice. Why did they not explain that in the first place? I just wrote and asked.
Because court staff are not legally qualified.
Jo C. and other Traffic Law Specialists are ready to help you