How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 71130
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Last week I had a minor low speed collision with a cycle

This answer was rated:

Hello. Last week I had a minor low speed collision with a cycle whilst turning left at a junction. Police and ambulance attended. No serious injury to cyclist. He clipped my wheel arch as he undertook me. Dangerous cycling I thought. Officer said he would recommend this went no further but that I may get a court summons for careless driving. I am due to go on holiday to the USA on 20th July. Is it likely I will get a summons before then and if I do can the date be put back until I return at the beginning of August. Many thanks

Hello are you likely to plead guilty or not guilty?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I don't know what to do. If I plead guilty I am worried I can't enter USA.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've read online that I might be offered a driver course instead of a points/ fine conviction
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Typically when a summons is issued how many weeks away will the court date be please

They have six months to lay an information so to could really be at any time. They do sometimes offer a course instead of a summons but I can't be guaranteed. How long is a difficult question. It depends where you are and what constabulary. Sometimes they forget to summons at all. They do sometimes do that. Mostly they do use the full six month period though. Can I clarify anything for you? Jo

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I get a summons can I ask for a date change to appear please to avoid my holiday which has been booked since lady year?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since last year..

it is not usually that simple but they will sometimes allow for variation if you can show a pre booked holiday.

You do have to apply to court though. You can't just write in.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How would I apply to court if it came to it? Would I call the court and ask for an appointment?

If you can get an answer from them then sometimes they will do it over the phone but usually they will want you to go in with evidence of the holiday.

Also, quite a lot of magistrates courts are just not manned at the moment.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm hoping I am worrying too much. Everybody tells me I am and I've never been in any trouble, motoring or otherwise. I appreciate your patient replies. Many thanks for your help.

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile

Jo C. and other Traffic Law Specialists are ready to help you