How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask propertylawyer Your Own Question
propertylawyer, Solicitor
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 288
Experience:  Property Solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
propertylawyer is online now

My friend was arrested and remanded s car impounded he

Customer Question

My friend was arrested and remanded his car impounded he suggested in a letter it may be better to leave the car with the police.
Dispite.this I phoned up to ask what would happen to the vehicle if it was lefted at the impound they advise me to come get the car before 12 the next day as it was going to be sold so I went down and payed the £620 storage fee on my card I have a proof of this my friend refuses to pay me back what can I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hi Wayne

On the facts I think there is very little you can do to claim the money back from your friend.

Your friend appeared to display his intention with the car, to leave it impounded.

It was your decision to pay the fee to retrieve the car to prevent it being sold. Whilst this was a very generous gesture on your part there does not appear to be any agreement between you and your friend that (1) you and your friend agreed that you would pay the fee to get the car back and (2) the payment made by you would be a loan and that your friend would pay you back. These two elements would be vital to establish that the two of you had an agreement. Without these two elements there is very little you can do, sadly.

I hope my reply has been helpful. Unless you have any further questions or queries in relation to my reply can I please ask you to accept /rate my reply so that I receive credit for my time in responding to your query.

All the best


Expert:  propertylawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hi Wayne

I am just following up on my response. Can I assist you further? If not, can you please rate/accept my reply so that I receive payment for my advice.

Kind regards