How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 71130
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

As the registered keeper of my vehicle I have received a

This answer was rated:

As the registered keeper of my vehicle I have received a parking ticket on private land.I was not the driver at the time.Am I liable?

Have you told them who was driving?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Was it within 28 days?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

And did you give them a name and address for the driver?

So they can realistically contact him?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. How much information did you give them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only his name.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shall I give his address?

It depends.

When was the fine issued?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
An appeal was made on the 10/10/16 and refused in a letter dated 13/10/16.They have given until 10/11/16 for payment of £75 to be made.They were informed my son lives in Japan,so perhaps they are taking the easy option.

That is a problem then I'm afraid.

It used to be possible for registered keepers to avoid liability by refusing to name the driver.

However, the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 made a registered keeper liable if he does not disclose the name of the driver and his address within 28 days of the fine. The law actually says 'current address for service' so an address in Japan would not comply.

In those circumstances, you are liable in law.

Whether they will sue or not is another matter. Often they don't as it isn't cost effective.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Jo C. and other Traffic Law Specialists are ready to help you