Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I have received a court notice for unpaid parking tickets

I have received a court notice for unpaid parking tickets for parking on private land behind my place of work - I have never been parked there for more than 20mins - dropping off etc - each ticket I received I have sent an explanation - never received any response - do I refuse to pay and send in a defence statement or I am wasting my time ?

Who is the issuer please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
vehicle control services in Sheffield
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Was my response received ? My computer froze on me !

Yes, I got it

Is this a CCJ against you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe its a notice to go to court to obtain the funds

Ok. A court summons then.

What do the signs at the location prohibit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Sign ReadsPrivate Property
Service Area Only
No Parking Except for Service Vehicles whilst loading/unloading only - then goes on to outline the fines etc

Are you a service vehicle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No - however I do on occasion have reason to drop parcels/point of sale material etc off at the shop - each time I have done this I have left a note in the car window explaining this - the car is literally 6ft away from the rear door of the property.

OK. Is this a domestic vehicle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's my car! I have worked at this location for 4yrs and pay daily £5.20 for car parking - I only stop at the rear when I need to drop off stuff that I can't carry but are needed in the office! As I said I've never been there more than 20mins and always left a note in my car window! In that respect I'm acting as a service vehicle

You could try to argue either the signs were inadequate or that they do not catch you.

What is a ‘service’ vehicle is something that can always be debated. I understand what they meant when they referred to a service vehicle but that doesn’t mean your vehicle cannot act in a service capacity.

Any vehicle can be used in a service capacity.

You will probably have to give more information about what you were specifically loading or unloading.

In principle though, you could fight this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am usually delivering/ collecting boxes of printing paper, packs of brochures and poster tubes full window display material! I really do believe the finest are unfair and unreasonable - if I wasn't respecting their rules then I would surely would park there everyday but I don't - it's only when necessary! Should I fight this ???

I think I would fight it but it is a matter of your appetite for risk. I am willing to bear the risk. Some may not be.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I do want to fight this - I believe they are unfair and unreasonable - there have been cars parked outside all day everyday this week - and they have not been give any parking tickets - I have taken pictures of these vehicles. If I lose will I still be given the option to pay the fines on a monthly basis.

That would be my view.

Some people can't cope with being sued though.

I'm happy to continue with this but please rate my answer.