How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 71341
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I ahve a question regarding impounded vehicle,i have been

Customer Question

Hi,i ahve a question regarding impounded vehicle,i have been stopped for driving with no insurance and the car was seized.Its my fathers car,in his name,can we collect the vehicle on a flatbed recovery truck if he does not wish to insure it anymore?The reason for getting the car back is to sell it and pay for some expenses.Thank you
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

Hi - please explain what happened when you were stopped?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have been stopped for speeding,but when police did a check,car was not insured at all.I cannot get insurance for it now,and the so called impound insurance is extremely expensive.My father wants nothing to do with the car,just sell it.So,can he as a rightful owner put the car on trailer/recovery truck without buying the insurance?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

You can recover the vehicle but not if it is not insured.

A flatbed recovery truck will not be adequate unless it is SORNed immediately because you have a duty to keep vehicles even off road continuously insured.

But your father can get insurance and then sell.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you,do i understand correctly if he Sorn`s the car now,he wont be able to recover it anyway? And no,he cannot get insured on the car aswell,only way is impound insurance which is expensive.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

Yes, that is right. They just wont release.

Best to get the cheapest insurance and then sell quickly.