Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

One of my drivers has been suspended for a period of three

Good evening,
One of my drivers has been suspended for a period of three years for driving in UK. He has a EU driving license and also the three years are now served. Can he drive in UK with the EU license or he has to reapply with DVLA to gain the right to drive again in UK.Thank you,
Tudor

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Why was he suspended?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It was for drinking and driving.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
As I mentioned he has a valid EU licence and he served the three years period that ended last year in August

So he is banned in the uk?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He had the right to drive suspended for three years. The bann ended last year in August. A police officer told him he is not aloud to drive in UK if he doesn't apply with DVLA for a UK licence. Why? He has a valid EU licence , the bann period ended...why does he have to apply with DVLA if he has a valid driving licence, even if it is a EU one?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Will I still get an answer?

Then the suspension arises from a different reason.

I need to know why he is suspended? By whom?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There is no other reason for suspension. The officer said that even if the suspension period ended, the driver has to reapply with DVLA for his right to drive in UK, even if he has a valid EU licence which is accepted in UK.

Ok. But who has suspended him?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
UK authorities, DVLA.

They have suspended his EU licence?

This answer will only be right if you give me full facts.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They can not suspend his EU licence.
He was banned for driving in UK for three years period by DVLA. The suspension period ended and my question is if he can drive in UK again using his EU(ROMANIAN) valid licence.

I cannot answer this unless you can tell me why they have suspended him.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Drinking and driving.

That can't be the issue.

Unless it is a medical suspension and then that would have no time limit on it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. This was the answer I was looking for.

That isn't an answer.

If he is suspended from driving then he is suspended from driving and cannot.

This just makes no sense because you have not told me the reason for the suspension.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just said that he was suspended for drinking and driving for a period of three years .

I realise that but we had moved on from that because I explained that could not be the reason.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I do not know any other reason

maybe, get him to ask the DVLA?